Farstar Roleplayers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RPvP Guide

+2
Belidos
Ibrahim Gaunt
6 posters

Go down

RPvP Guide Empty RPvP Guide

Post  Ibrahim Gaunt Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:45 am

Here's a link to an RPvP Guide that I'd like to offer as a suggestion to how fights can be handled in a blend of RP and PvP

http://www.starsidergalaxy.com/forum/index.php?topic=2353.0

I'd like your thoughts on whether we should adopt this as a community standard of our own.

Ibrahim Gaunt

Back to top Go down

RPvP Guide Empty Re: RPvP Guide

Post  Belidos Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:11 am

With a few diferences this is very similar to a proposal i have been writing for the last week or so, mine's not quite so detailed but along the same line.

I think something like this is needed for roleplaying battles, especially in the crazy speeded up NgE world, with a few adjustments it could prolong the battles and make them feel more like a real battle rather than a series of quick killings.

Some things i would personaly change would be ..

A) Specials: Allow all specials to be used, BUT, only the lowest level version.
B) Weapons: Find a friendly munitions guy to make a few creates of a few diferent types of weapon using naf resources to issue before the battle, this way everyones on a fairly even keel regardless of level, and, the battle will be more drawn out and have more chances to roleplay inside the battle.
B) Targeting: Only allow free targeting (no auto aim) and no auto fire, again this would make it more likely for people to miss shots etc making for more realism and more rp chances.

Belidos

Back to top Go down

Post  Saiana Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:46 am

Belidos wrote:

Some things i would personaly change would be ..

A) Specials: Allow all specials to be used, BUT, only the lowest level version.
B) Weapons: Find a friendly munitions guy to make a few creates of a few diferent types of weapon using naf resources to issue before the battle, this way everyones on a fairly even keel regardless of level, and, the battle will be more drawn out and have more chances to roleplay inside the battle.
C?) Targeting: Only allow free targeting (no auto aim) and no auto fire, again this would make it more likely for people to miss shots etc making for more realism and more rp chances.

just a few "thoughts" from me if thats ok?

A) frankly I can't be assed to try and load up another tool bar just for RP combat, and luckally as I'm mando atm I can produce "random fire" pretty easy, and would look myself just to limit the specials I used, and use cover etc to try and make it a more believeable experience.
B) sounds fine to me, using your best PVP gun in a situation your trying to draw out for RP isn't the base plan, I believe that there are a few non restriction AOE (think thats the right term) guns that anyone can use regardless of profession
C) heres where Mando's have the advantage in my opinion, with the free targeting weapons it makes it easier to "miss", if you lock onto one of the opposition during this, frankly thats a little lame and kinda cheating in my opinion, as the point here is more fun than actually trying to kill someone,

I think during this event an Incap would mean that, that person is effectively "injured" and would look try and and get away from the fighting, (similar idea to paintball I think) so if one side is taking too many casualties this would necessitate their retreat?

again this would lead to an open ended outcome to an extent, as long as people don't take the piss with the combat (and I'd say restrict the use of heals?) one team will eventually take more losses than the other, now depending on the side will depend on their reactions I think, and their goal during the event.
Saiana
Saiana
Admin

https://farstarrp.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Belidos Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:15 am

I'd agree on restricting the use of heals, personally i would not allow personal heals and have the medics responsible for healing, ater all they are medics. Or maybe even supply bacta kits to combatants, limit them to for example 5 uses before they have to seek out a medic to do the job for them.

The key here is trust, the battles are going to be hectic no matter what we do to slow them down, what we don't want is to have to have a neutral moderator monitoring combat logs and watching us while we fight, so how would we regulate it?

Belidos

Back to top Go down

Post  Artik Silverfire Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:24 am

great! no buffs, mostly roleplay.

I love this idea.

BUT - gotta see if everyone agrees to it and doesn't cheat.

using the alternate targeting system and low level weapons/specials is more like playing StarWars Battlefront.

lol
Artik Silverfire
Artik Silverfire

Back to top Go down

Post  Saiana Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:17 am

I'd say no heals or at most 1 by a medic if present.
as we'd be drawing it out a bit anyway I'd suggest that the medics take more of an RP role, so a situation would be (do imp for ease):

during the cross fire TK123 is incapcitated, meaning that he is "injured",
The medic would look to get the soldier away from the fight (drag ability I believe) and would RP the situation, depending on how the person wants to play it

med: "you alright soldier?"
TK123: "yes sir, just my leg"
Med: "ok I'll patch you up to stop the bleeding but you'll have to stay back"

so in this situation TK123 has a leg injury and would maybe limit movement to walking or crawling, but would be able to provide cover fire as the others pulled back.

med: "you alright soldier?"
TK123: "it's my arm sir, I can't feel it"
Med: "ok let me stop the bleeding and we'll get you back to base"

in this situation TK123 has an arm injury so wouldn't be able to use a rifle (for arguments sake) and would either switch to a pistol or would have to hold back.

I see that there are many different ideas around this.

as for cheaters, I think it would become apparent if someone was taking the piss a little by just picking people off one after another. unfortunatley this is the hard part and will require some trust.
I think if we see that one person is abusing this then they would be banned from the next event lets say, and if they did again that would be it for them participating in events.

I think a "moderator" would just be a pain in the ass and would be imersion breaking.
Saiana
Saiana
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Seung-Mina Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:54 am

Not all Medics have "drag" since its based on the expertise..and with my setup i can't shake another 5 points out of my sleve to get it..Very Happy
And well..as we are discussing here: what are the opinions about pets? Full leveled pets with lvl5/3 specials? or only lvl 1 specials, or no specials, or just allowing non-highend pets in the mid-lvls..? Or no pets (would make Mina very sad..). From my point i would say: reasonable pet types like cats, dogs, smaller lizards..no rancors, kimos, snakes or my Rasp. I have no problems to make me a customized Roleplay pet, it just need some time to incubate it and to bring it to the arranged lvl.
Seung-Mina
Seung-Mina

Back to top Go down

Post  Saiana Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:49 am

Seung-Mina wrote:Not all Medics have "drag" since its based on the expertise..and with my setup i can't shake another 5 points out of my sleve to get it..Very Happy
And well..as we are discussing here: what are the opinions about pets? Full leveled pets with lvl5/3 specials? or only lvl 1 specials, or no specials, or just allowing non-highend pets in the mid-lvls..? Or no pets (would make Mina very sad..). From my point i would say: reasonable pet types like cats, dogs, smaller lizards..no rancors, kimos, snakes or my Rasp. I have no problems to make me a customized Roleplay pet, it just need some time to incubate it and to bring it to the arranged lvl.

np hun, the drag was just an idea (been a while since I played medic and wasn't the best anyway lol)
as for pets, tbh it wasn't something I'd thought about, so I'll bow to your knowledge here as your more of an expert than me, I can make them up, but never really trained many up as my toons that have had combat pets weren't combat themselves (trader/ent) and Krys has never really had the expertise to spare (and i've not had the will Embarassed)

I'd say something reasonable, nothing "overpowered" or anything that'd look ridiculous as you say.
whats the Rasp again?
Saiana
Saiana
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Artik Silverfire Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:58 am

saiana - remember that we should stick more to the SW world than to the real world.

Expanded Universe is full of bacta... don't limit too much the things/specials that people can use

otherwise it ends up in a cantina brawl with barehands.
Artik Silverfire
Artik Silverfire

Back to top Go down

Post  Artik Silverfire Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:59 am

Artik Silverfire wrote:...with barehands.

who was Teras Kasi? Very Happy
Artik Silverfire
Artik Silverfire

Back to top Go down

Post  Saiana Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:13 am

Artik Silverfire wrote:saiana - remember that we should stick more to the SW world than to the real world.

Expanded Universe is full of bacta... don't limit too much the things/specials that people can use

otherwise it ends up in a cantina brawl with barehands.

I know there is bacta Razz just saying that if we're sat there using crap pew pew guns, healing all the time etc, then we'll just end up having a 3 hour shootfest! lol

thus, cut down the heals (should help keep the battle a reasonable length)
specials I don't have a problem with as long as there isn't someone just targeting one person and doing special after special after special after special after special after special after special after special after special after special after special after special after special after special... well yeah lol.

and *poke* you didn't answer my question about your armors!!!! Razz
Saiana
Saiana
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tharek Tolemac Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:39 am

Just to throw something in:
Before we start making plans again what to use and what not, with moderator guarding the logs... here is my idea:

1. Stick to Standard attack.
2. Use target lock/auto attack if you want, use manual target if you want. (Actually, I think you can continue firing while typing emotes)
3. Dont heal, just a medic can heal you.
4. No specials.

I suggest to try it like that for the first event. Actually, even high end weapons have "only" 1000-1300 DPS as standard attack, while a normal armor will absord 60% of that. So, if nobody uses specials, you can fire and hit a player a lot with normal attack before you get incapped.

Opinions?

Tharek Tolemac

http://www.twinlakes.granos.de

Back to top Go down

Post  Belidos Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:47 am

Tharek Tolemac wrote:Before we start making plans again what to use and what not, with moderator guarding the logs... here is my idea:

no-one was planning to have a moderator, what i said was 'what we don't want is ....' etc.

Belidos

Back to top Go down

Post  Belidos Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:54 am

Tharek Tolemac wrote:Just to throw something in:
Before we start making plans again what to use and what not, with moderator guarding the logs... here is my idea:

1. Stick to Standard attack.
2. Use target lock/auto attack if you want, use manual target if you want. (Actually, I think you can continue firing while typing emotes)
3. Dont heal, just a medic can heal you.
4. No specials.

I suggest to try it like that for the first event. Actually, even high end weapons have "only" 1000-1300 DPS as standard attack, while a normal armor will absord 60% of that. So, if nobody uses specials, you can fire and hit a player a lot with normal attack before you get incapped.

Opinions?

1. I could run with that, that's no problem.
2. The reason i sugested to use the free fire system and no auto fire was to stop the constant streams of blaster bolts flying everywhere turning it into a mess.
3. I can run with that, but what we don't want is a medic in the group spamming heals, i know we want to stretch the battle out but a medic healing against un-styled attacks would just make the battles too long, maybe the medics can be the only ones to heal and only when we have a 'man down' situation.
4. I could go for that, but i didn't want the battle to get too generic, i wanted to have the diferent classes having a purpose in battles, thats why i sugested lowest levels of each special.

We're not really making plans with this, it's just a few ideas being thrown out there, we're not writing the rule book just yet.

Belidos

Back to top Go down

Post  Saiana Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:59 am

i'm quite happy with what Tharek said.

don't want a moderator as it will be boring for them (unless we find an accountant lmao)
but will also just make things harder and longer and blah blah blah.

all I want is to have some basic ground rules/understanding and for some fun rp.
bored about keep talking about stuff like this and nothing happens.
Saiana
Saiana
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Artik Silverfire Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:23 am

let's just meet ingame, make an ooc shooting party to see what can be fun and what is too lame.

@saiana which question about my armour? and where?
Artik Silverfire
Artik Silverfire

Back to top Go down

Post  Seung-Mina Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:38 am

Rasps are the high flying little birds from Talus/Corellia which have nearly the same target issues for free aimer (i am one..), thats why they are on the blacklist of the Devs and DNA is unobtainable. Only if you were happy to have a preNGE one (spent a whole afternoon on catching that little bird) you can make you one. It's nearly the rarest ingame pet, and nearly worth a billion when you have one in a deed.
Since i have pets in nearly every point and lvl range we can try around and see, at what point it's unfair for using a pet. With my experience i would say not more than a 15 pointer and being in the 50 lvl range..
Beastmaster is not for everyone, you sacrifice a lot, but on the other hand i can happily solo goldelites with nothing more than my available buffs (2 medic, elder, mustafar, food/drink, don't even need an ent buff..). And being able to solo anything Gold was far beyond my goals when i started..Smile
Seung-Mina
Seung-Mina

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down